Friday, March 16, 2012

Boys pants refashioned


Robbie has worn out all his pants, literally! He split the knees out. Here's the thing, he only likes elastic pull on pants, and being a size 8, it's getting harder to find them. As a result, the fabrics are not as thick as jeans. We have had a mild winter, and it's getting close to ditching pants and putting on shorts. I did not want to spend money on pants, when he needs shorts, too. So, I cut off a few pair of them and put a zig zag stitch at the bottom to stop the raveling. The reason I did not do a proper hem on them is that they are carpenter style pants with a bulky pocket on the side right at the knee area. The knee split just at the bottom of the pocket, leaving no room for a hem. I figure he can wear them at home, and who knows, once they ravel a bit, they might look cute.













On three pair, I used the cut off portions from the other "now shorts" and made a faux pocket for each knee. I incorporated the hem and used it for the top of the pocket.









I did not have enough tan scraps to do the same for the tan pants, so I put a strip of tan on each knee, then used random shapes cut from camo scraps. I did a grunge look with the stitching and placement of faux patches. I like the way these came out, and so does he! Now he has three pair of pants, and four pair of cut off shorts.


I've never sewed for Robbie. Mostly because he's a boy, and I think you can only do so much. I'm going to try and make him some shorts. I have a pattern for a simple elastic pull on pair with pocket. If they don't look right, he can always use them for sleeping.




I'm linking this up at:  http://mineforthemaking.blogspot.com/2012/04/diy-diva-thursdays-34-fashion-party.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to look at my stuff! I love comments, too!