Saturday, November 5, 2011

Upcycled Into a Pirate Costume

Rob wanted to be a pirate for halloween. Since the pre-made ones are lame and expensive, I went to Saver's to see what I could upcycle. I found this great men's suede like jacket which was perfect for the vest. I also found a gauze blouse that had a simple embroidered sleeve and bottom hem. I figured, Captain Jack is pretty flamboyent, so this 'blouse' would be perfect. My lucky day, they were half price! I also found a generic type of "Jack Sparrow" pirate hat with long ringlet hair and the perfect belt!



Started out as a man's suede like blazer; I cut the vest out of this.

I used Rob's AWANA's vest as a pattern and just cut it longer. My intent was to do this costume as simple as possible. All I did was sew shoulder and side seams. I left all the edges raw.
Gauze blouse with embroidered sleeves and hem
Now, for the "pirate top", I turned up the ends of the sleeves and hemmed because they were too long. The embroidery still showed, yay. I poked holes along the V neckline and put in some leather cording and beads, perfect-o!

It's finished! I re styled the hair and added beads.
For the hat, those long ringlets just wouldn't do! I seperated them and braided them and added beads. Much better!


He already had pants, and he is the cutest Jack Sparrow!
Voila, added the belt, sword and beard, and he was a happy Jack Sparrow pirate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to look at my stuff! I love comments, too!