Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Military Fighter Jet (Valentine Box)

What do you get from this trash?...
  A "Military Fighting Jet"
Valentine holder box, that's what!
We started out with a juice box container, cardboard, duct tape, plastic cup, plastic cookie box, wood skewers and stars cut from the cricut.



We ended up with a cool fighting jet complete with missiles and pilot!


Check out the missiles & the cute little pilot!
Ok, I showed the finished project, now on to the process and my story...

I used "Everyday Paper Dolls" cartridge for the pilot. I made the cockpit with a piece of clear plastic from a cookie box.
Now it's ready for Robbie to decorate.
Robbie is adding the stars; which I cut from the cricut and ran through my Xyron adhesive machine.

 
I really love how this turned out!

When he told me what he wanted me to make, all I could think was, 'how am I gonna do that?'  I had planned to make a simple quick 'robot' or 'monster' with a kleenex box. Then...I was at Hobby Lobby and they had a cute Robot kit for $3 and I bought it because I thought it was cute and would save me time. (what a slacker!) I showed it to him and his face fell, and he gave me those "eyes" as he said, "I really want a jet, pleeeeze." What else could I do, right??

I pulled up a picture of an F-16 on the computer, and the project evolved as I went. I decided to use duct tape to cover it because it was faster & easier than waiting on paint to dry. I covered each piece with the tape before I assembled the plane. I cut slits in the 'body' of the plane and slid the wings in, then used duct tape to secure them. I cut a hole on the end of the body, a little smaller than the red cup and pushed it in, and secured it with duct tape. I poked a hole in the red cup and stuck in the 'pointy stick thingy' that the F-16 had. (Believe it or not, there is no hot glue in this project!)

The next morning, Robbie came downstairs and was thrilled with the creation! After he placed his stars on, he said, "Grandma, you forgot the missiles." No, I hadn't forgotten...so off to the craft room we went, where I cut some wood skewers, painted them green and duct taped them under the wings.
Voila, a "Military Fighter Jet" was born!

Robbie's expression and his squeals of delight when he saw his plane, made all the effort worth while! 


Linking up to...
  • Tasty Creations Bi-Weekly Link Party No. 3

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for taking the time to look at my stuff! I love comments, too!