I have to admit, that I have not read the books or seen the movie, yet. I'm going by what my grandaughter has told me and looking up a lot of info online.
Here's the finished piece.
![]() |
| It's a 30" necklace, I raised it up to fit on the stand. scroll down to read why I chose each of the charms |
Here's what I did:
This necklace was designed as I was making it. I had a rough idea of what I wanted, and then just started putting it together, then trying it on, then adding to it, and so on.It took me a while to collect all the supplies, because I bought them as they were on sale. I tried to create a one inch piece of art on the computer, but it was a hassle. My light bulb lit up and I checked Etsy and, sure enough someone had a fantastic printable for sale! Score! Go HERE if you want to check them out. For $3.90 I received a download that had 48 images. Pick Your Plum had these little one inch wood disks with bails and clear epoxy sticker for the top.
| It was so hard to choose, but I chose three images that I thought would reflect each of the books. I had to refrain myself from using all the images, that's how good they are! |
| I've glued the image onto the wood, when it dried, I put the clear epoxy sticker over the top. |
Three Hunger Games square pendants: one to represent each of the books.
Bee charms : Tracker Jackers
Bird Charm: Mockingjay
Tree: Katniss throws the Tracker Jack nest out of the tree onto some tributes
Love tag: Katniss & Peeta
Hope tag: Quote: "You don't forget the face of the person who was your last hope"
Music note: Rue loves music
Cupcake with frosting: Peeta is a baker. Katniss says, "If only you could frost someone to death."
Cat: Prim's cat, Buttercup
Arrowhead: Katniss hunted with bow & arrow
Black/purple beads: Nightlock berries (poisonous)
Key with heart: Katniss holds the key to Peeta's heart
I attached the charms to a 30" chain. I also used some beads & wire to attach the really small charms.
After I had put most of the charms on, I decided to do something with the backs of the square pendants. Why? Because as I would try on the necklace, I noticed the charms would flip and thought it might as well be cute on the back. It would have been much easier had I thought of this before I put them on the necklace. I put Martha Stewart glitter glue on the backs and added the letter "P" sticker (for Peeta) and the numer "12" (for District 12) I then sprinkled glitter on and let dry. After they were dry, I sealed the glitter with mod podge. Unfortunately, this step reduced some of the glitz of the glitter. Better that, than for the glitter to rub off on a shirt.
| This would've been so much easier had I thought of this before I attached the charms. I did not want to remove them, so I was careful. |
| Waiting for the mod podge to dry |
![]() |
| Now, when the charms flip over, they will still be cute! |
If I make another one, I will bling up the backs of wood as the 2nd step.
I took it to my grandaughter, and she loved it! Yay! Who knows maybe I'll try to make some ear rings, or a hair clip.
Linking up at: http://www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com/2012/05/creative-thursday-link-party-no-4.html
http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2012/05/wow-me-wednesday-49.html
http://www.acoupleofcraftaddicts.blogspot.com/2012/05/may-link-party-glitter.html
http://www.thetraintocrazy.com/2012/05/ma.html
http://www.aglimpseinsideblog.com/2012/05/catch-glimpse-party-78.html
http://www.733blog.com/2012/05/what-are-little-boys-made-of-110.html
http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2012/05/under-100-linky-party.html
http://www.houseofhepworths.com/2012/05/02/hookin-up-with-hoh-98/
http://www.sew-much-ado.com/2012/05/we-did-it-wednesday.html
http://www.naptimecrafters.com/2012/05/friday-favs-party-61.html
http://www.shabbynest.blogspot.com/2012/05/frugal-friday.html
http://www.remodelaholic.com/2012/05/remodelaholics-anonymous-121/
http://www.thegrantlife.com/2012/05/financial-friday-fabulous-features.html
http://www.somethingswanky.com/search/label/Sweet%20Treats%20Thursday
http://printabelle.com/
I'm excited! this project was featured at:



Tina, I LOVE it! This is a beautiful necklace and you did a wonderful job. I bet your granddaughter loved it. I have been trying my hand a Mod Podge lately, the kids love. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can't wait to see what you link up next week. Have a wonderful weekend.
ReplyDeleteMichelle
This necklace is awesome! Your granddaughter has some jealous friends now! ;)
ReplyDeleteThis looks great! The charms looks perfect for the book!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing! Have a great weekend
Rebecca @ heronscrafts.blogspot.com
Came over from the Train to crazy. This is absolutely stunning. Wow!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! I'm sure she loved it and was the envy of all her friends.
ReplyDeleteWow, turned out excellent, great job! I'd love for you to add it on my link party at: http://printabelle.com/?p=4459 Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the kind words! Thanks for the invitation, I linked it up to your link party.
DeleteThanks for linking! So glad your granddaughter liked it, it turned out really well. I just did a review for Mod Podge Rocks book, I can't believe how many things you can do with it, I gotta get me some!
ReplyDelete