Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Pinewood Derby Car


This is Robbie's first year in AWANA's. Unbeknownst to us, it is time for the annual Pinewood Derby build and race. Robbie is very excited. Unfortunately, the race is this Sunday and we just got the car this past Sunday. One week to make the car and Robbie's tonsils were scheduled to come out, which was done yesterday. The plan had been for he and Papa to do most of the work on Monday, but, Cedric ended up working 16 hrs. and didn't get home till 11pm. Rob was disappointed. Yesterday, he picked out a design and Papa cut it out. Rob-happy again. I'm hoping that later in the week, he will feel well enough to paint it and 'pimp' it out. 


Painting the car; he chose, red yellow and blue.
I really thought he was going to want to put stickers on it and really decorate it. Nope, he slopped some paint on it and called it, good.

We really didn't think he'd be up to going to the race, but he begged, so we took him. His car ran three heats. Not bad. There were some really tricked out carts there; which everyone knows the kids didn't do them. We were pleased with Robbie's car, cuz he did it himself!

Ready to race! Robbie's is the one at the top left.


Robbie's car is lined up to race.  There were 71-ish cars racing in the Sparks group. It took about an hour. Even though Robbie was sitting and standing while the racing was going on, it took a toll on him. So, when the race was over, Papa took him to wait in the car while I waited to get his car and his ribbon.
Robbie got the "Particpant" ribbon. He was so excited anyway. He asked when I came to the car with it, "Did I win?" I told him no, but everyone got a ribbon for trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to look at my stuff! I love comments, too!